Frequently Asked Questions
As by state law, a student must be 15 and 9 months before they can begin Driver's Education. No student can start Driver's ed Course until 15.9 Month. Student can get a pemit when they are 16 yrs old
You do not have to have a permit to begin classes with us. Our classes cover everything in the driving manual which is what the permit exam is based off of. A lot of students choose to complete the classroom hours first before they take the permit exam as it's a good way to study actively and practice.
RMV charges $30 for a permit, $35 for a Road test and $50 for a License, RMV fees can not be paid to Sharon Driving School. Our fees are separate from RMV fees
You must have completed at least half of your classroom sessions, as well as a parent class Driving hours have to be scheduled online at our website. No driving hours can be scheduled back to back. Studnet must have 72 hrs between lessons. 3 days. This applies to any studnet that is enrolled in our school. Payment needs to be in Full or lessons will be canceled. Parent class needs to be done before first lesson, Lessons will be cancled on our end if these rules are not followed
We suggest you learn the basics at home with your parents such as shifting gears and regular dashboard information. After that, we will take over! But remember, the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) requires that you complete a minimum of 40 hours with you parents/guardians before you can take a road test. We can teach you a lot, but you must work on driving at home in addition to the hours that you complete at home!
Our policy requires 24 hour notice if you cannot make it to a lesson. If it is cancelled within 24 hours, you will incur a $65 charge. That missed lesson fee will have to be paid before the next hour, otherwise all subsequent hours will be cancelled this applies to any student that is enrolled in our school. If a studnet has no pemit, canceles last min or cancles less than 24 hours. All cancelations that are less than 48 hours needs to be done by email or phone
You must complete driver's education within 2 years from the start date.
For students who go through Driver's Education with us, you must complete your driving hours two and a half weeks before the scheduled road test. Once your last lesson is scheduled, you may insert yourself onto a road test date. If you are from another school, your Driver's Education Certificate must be on file with the registry before you schedule a road test, and you must be at least 16 and 6 months to schedule a road test. You must also have your permit for at least 6 months if you are under 18 and have a clean driving record
If you are over 18, you can take a road test whenever you are ready, as long as you have a valid permit. However, we do suggest taking lessons with us to ensure that you are ready for a road test. Money for a test is not refundable. No road test can be double booked with RMV branch or another driivng school. SDS is not responsible to know if a student has a clean driivng record if under 18, Road test will be scheduled from our office in Sharon if it is done on a weekend. RMV determines a schedule for a test. SDS migh get a Sat or Sunday Test. SDS is not responsible for Failed tests. Money will not be refunded if a student decides not to show up for a test or cancles less that 2 weeks. Road test during a week needs to be done at a Branch ( Brockton, Taunton, Braintree and Milford)
On a day of a test SDS will provide a car and a sponsor. SDS is not responsible for fees from RMV
Yes! We accept anyone and everyone who is interested in a road test. However, if you need a competency test, you must make that appointment through the RMV and we would be more than happy to sponsor your road test.
Yes. We require one lesson to be taken with us if you are taking a road test through our school. It is only to help you - we have worked with the same instructors for years that come to our school to test our students. We know exactly what they want to see when you are on the road with them, therefore, we do require a lesson which we can typically do on the same day. It is usually a half hour to an hour long, and will cover almost everything you need to know for the road test. Please understand that if you are not ready for the road test and you take a brush up lesson - it does not ENSURE that you pass the road test - it just increases the chances of passing.
Adult lessons can be done during a week before 2 pm and some weekends Student needs to call the office at 781 784 7717 to make sure, we pick up in your town and payment needs to be in before first lesson. Lessons are usually private, In a summer hours Adult lessons will be conducted not one on one, we reserve a right to have another studnet in a car. During a school year Adult lessons will need to be scheduled before 2 pm and they will be one on one with a studnet and instructor, SDS picks up studnets within 5 mile radious from our offices ( Sharon, Easton and Dedham) All Brush Up lessons wil be conducted from our office in Sharon, This will benefit a studnet
You are entitled to a partial refund on any driving lessons or packages, with proper cancellation notice, before instruction is given. A written request for a refund is required 24 hours prior, to any scheduled service with the proof of payment. Request for the refund must be done through email firstname.lastname@example.org. Road test Fees are not refundable. Adult Driving Lesson fees are not refundable once a student starts packages. Sharon Driving School will issue a refund within 30 be days of the request minus $100 administrative Fee.
No Studnet can book a lesson online unless a payment is done in Full! This applies to studnets that are enrolled in d. course, private lessons or road test.
Parent Class MUST be completed before the 1th hour of behind the wheel driving is completed. This is a new Policy from RMV. Lessons will be canceled and account will be blocked from scheduling lessons if a parent class is not completed.
NO LESSONS CAN BE BOOKED BACK TO BACK. THERE MUST BE 72 HOURS BETWEEN LESSONS. We suggest 2 a week. RMV gives 6 month for a reason.
Balance has to be PAID in Full before first lesson.
The original permit needs to be present at the time of the lesson or the lesson will be considered a no show. Time card needs to be present when a student has a lesson
When selecting driving time make sure you are selecting times in a right zone and time that is good for you, meaning you have no other commitments after end of the lesson
Zone 1 (Sharon Area)
Zone 2 (Dedham Area)
If a student books a lesson in a wrong zone. Lesson will be canceled by the office and lesson needs to be rebooked in a right Zone.
Student will be picked up from Home. Address that we have in our database is the address that put on a time card. If address needs to be changed, Student needs to email us a new address.
- IF PAID IN FULL AND IT WILL ASK FOR A PAYMENT, PLEASE CLICK ON PAY AT A TIME OF SERVICE we will know that you are paid in full
- If you need to change location of pick, this must be done in no less than 24 hrs during a week and by Friday 5 pm for weekend or Monday.
- Cancelation could be only done online at our website or by calling us. Cancelation less that 24 hrs will result in $65 charge. Student cannot schedule any more hours until that charge will be paid. IF A CANCELATION NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR A WEEKEND OR A MONDAY, CANCELATION NEEDS TO BE DONE BY CALL, TEXT OR EMAIL.
- If you do not see available times please call office during regular business hours and we will put you down for cancelation list, or we also might have some available slots.
- 2 to 3 Lessons can be Scheduled per week, student needs to spread out driving hours in 6 month. No student can schedule a road test less than 6 month so it will be beneficial for a student to get hours done as close to road test as possible LESSONS CAN NOT BE BOOKED BACK TO BACK. YOU MUST HAVE 72 HOURS BETWEEN LESSONS! LESSONS WILL BE CANCELED OF THIS RULE IS NOT FOLLOWED
- Only 1 lesson is booked online, but a student will be in a car for 2 hours. It could be a combination of 2 hours of driving, 2 hours of observation or 1 hour driving and 1 hour of observation
SDS will be making a decisions when a student is observing or driving. Once a student is done with observation hours, student will be in a car for 1 hour
Student can be picked up a little bit early or late depends on a traffic and the other student driving. We can not control this! If you want to be picked and dropped off you must give us a leave way of 20 min on both ends. We are not the ones driving. If a student is running late we will be waiting for 15 min, Office needs to be notified so we can get in touch with instructor.
- Student need to plan to return back after 2 hrs, SDS can not give a credit for more than 2hrs per day.
- Sharon Driving School reserves a Right to Change Driving hours to just observation hours. It is a State Requirement to do observation hours.
- No 2 hours lessons can be booked unless student is done with observing and lessons have to be booked one after another. You can not book a lesson at 11 and another one at 3 pm
- If a student needs to be picked up from another place rather then home, in special notes student needs to indicate location of pick up and it needs to be done 24 hrs in advance
- If a student has limited experience please book a lesson on a weekend and in a special notes indicate that student has limited experience